Film soundtracks or famous symphonies? Either way, they’re even better live!
You know the moment at the cinema when you realise that you’ve heard that tune before, but you can’t quite put your finger on it? Well, tonight, we reveal all, in the sensational surround-sound of the full CBSO. You might think of the music of Elgar, Puccini, Mahler and Sibelius as the soundtracks to Dunkirk, Fatal Attraction, Tár and Die Hard 2 – but they sound even better when you hear them for real!
About Classics at the Movies
Where Have I Heard it Before?
2001: A Space Odyssey, or Barbie. There's competition for the most epic use of Strauss's huge Also Sprach Zaratustra.
Also Sprach Zaratustra
- Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathustra (Opening) (2mins - as featured in 2001: A Space Odyssey and Barbie)
- Mozart, The Marriage of Figaro: Overture (4mins - as featured in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
- Puccini, Gianni Schicchi: O mio babbino caro (3mins - as featured in Mr Bean's Holiday)
- Mahler, Symphony No. 5 - Adagietto (7mins - as featured in Tár and Death in Venice)
- Handel, Music for the Royal Fireworks: La Réjouissance (3mins)
- Gounod, Faust Jewel Song (5mins)
- Elgar, Enigma Variations: Nimrod (3mins - as featured in Dunkirk and Elizabeth)
- Sibelius, Finlandia (8mins - as featured in The Walking Dead and Die Hard)
- Verdi, La forza del destino: Overture (8mins)
- Verdi, La traviata: Ah, fors' è lui... Sempre libera (4mins - as featured in Priscilla Queen of the Desert)
- Beethoven, Symphony No. 7 - 2nd Movement (7mins - as featured in X-Men: Apocalypse, Westworld, and The King's Speech)
- Mascagni, Cavalleria rusticana: Intermezzo (4mins - as featured in The Godfather Part III and Raging Bull)
- Puccini, Madama Butterfly: Un bel di vedremo (5mins)
- Tchaikovsky, Swan Lake: Hungarian Dance (2mins)
- Offenbach, Orpheus in the Underworld: Can Can (2mins - as featured in The Little Mermaid and Moulin Rouge)
- Saint-Saëns, Symphony No. 3 - Finale (8mins - as featured in Billy Elliot and Black Swan)