Sub-Principal £34, 987 pro rata; Tutti £31, 292
- Application Deadline
The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra is resident at Birmingham's Symphony Hall, one of the finest halls in the world. Together with Music Director Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla, the CBSO is in demand globally, acting as ambassador for the city in venues and festivals internationally. Our recordings win international prizes. We support and sustain an unparalleled diversity of world-class music making in Birmingham and beyond including our own chamber music series at our rehearsal and concert hall, CBSO Centre. Our acclaimed family of choruses, youth ensembles and education programme reaches more than 55,000 people each year.
We are recruiting for the following positions in the Second Violin Section:
Sub-Principal Second Violin (50% Job Share), will play at No.4, 5 & 6, sitting up to No.2 as required, may also be asked to Section Lead. Annual salary £34,987 pro rata.
This is a 50% permanent contract working within the Orchestra job sharing with a current member of the section
Tutti Second Violin, will play as part of the Second Violin section as required by orchestration. The tutti players rotate their seating positions. Annual salary £31,292
We welcome candidates who would like to be considered for both positions.
Auditions dates tbc.
The CBSO offer a range of Continuous Professional Development opportunities to its musicians which includes work across the CBSO’s Learning and Participation Programme: Music & Ability (Disability Provision), Higher Education, Developing Talent, Families, Youth & Communities, Youth Orchestra and Choruses as well as chamber music opportunities.
Candidates should have experience of performing in symphony orchestras and evidence through their CV of excellence in performance in a professional context. The CBSO will also consider candidates who are in the early stages of their career and can clearly demonstrate their potential to fulfil the role.
How to apply
Submit an application form and equal opportunities form (download below) to firstname.lastname@example.org. CVs can also be included with applications. For any queries, please don't hesitate to contact Assistant Orchestra Manager, Alan Johnson, at email@example.com.
- Highly reputable classical music training
- Recent orchestral experience as a professional violinist
- Commitment to delivering a very high standard of work
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Self-motivated, reliable and able to work under pressure
- Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team
- Ability to develop positive working relationships including with other members of the orchestra and the management / administrative team
- Respect for others demonstrated by being fully prepared to play at the start of every session
- Ability to understand and to speak English
- Proven expertise in a broad range of musical and performance activities including education work and chamber music
- Considerable recent orchestral experience as a professional violinist, in the case of the sub principal position, experience sitting in a similar role.
- Alan Johnson
The CBSO is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.