By investing in the most ambitious artistic projects performed by the very best musicians you could bring joy to concert-goers worldwide.
In the Recovery phase your support will help us to:
- Begin giving socially-distanced concerts as soon as it is possible to do so and absorb the financial impact of performing for reduced audiences
- Share filmed performances online for the first time, enabling us to reach new audiences and stay in touch with those who are shielding
- Retain our world-class musicians and staff, attracted to Birmingham from around the world over the last four decades, in order to secure our artistic excellence. All employees have accepted a 20% pay reduction to support the orchestra through this crisis
In the Renewal phase, we aspire to build on our tradition of artistic excellence – the foundation of everything we do – by:
- Staging keynote artistic projects in Birmingham and worldwide, including collaborations with world-leading conductors and soloists, and commissioning new music to advance the artform
- Attracting the world’s finest orchestral musicians and helping them make their lives in the Midlands
- Continuing to develop the CBSO Chorus as one of the world’s best ‘amateur professional’ choruses
"The CBSO is a huge part of my life! It's been a family affair. My parents were both involved with the CBSO Chorus, my brother sang in it, I met my husband through it, and now our son is beginning his musical journey with the CBSO. As an amateur singer, no other organisation comes close. You're just one little part in this huge ensemble that’s on a worldwide stage. To perform for the world’s greatest conductors, alongside the best orchestras and talented soloists, is inspirational. To sing with a massive symphonic chorus is a spiritual experience. And the pride! Wow. Although amateurs, we work to a high professional standard and are trained and expected to perform as professionals yet we do it all for love. It's just phenomenal: the wide range of repertoire, the unrivalled training, the opportunities to tour parts of the world I never dreamed I'd see. But most importantly, it's about the friendships – my very best friends are CBSO Chorus members! "
Isobel Edgar, CBSO Chorus
"You are the jewel in Birmingham's crown and it's so important to the City that you continue to prosper"
Philip Bowden, audience member