We aim to attract, nurture and enable the world’s finest artistic talent. The CBSO is made up of 90 exceptional musicians from four continents who have been attracted to Birmingham by the quality of the Orchestra’s work.
The CBSO has a particular track record in incubating conducting talent, having launched the careers of Sir Simon Rattle, Sakari Oramo and Andris Nelsons, and given Gustavo Dudamel and Yannick Nezet-Seguin their UK symphonic debuts. Continuing to attract and nurture the world’s finest musicians is critical for the orchestra’s artistic future, and in the years ahead the CBSO plans to:
- Strengthen even further its roster of guest conductors and soloists by offering residencies to distinguished guest artists and extending invitations to major international conductors
- Attract orchestral players of the highest calibre to succeed those who are retiring
- Invest in its players’ professional development by providing a study fund and other training
- Recruit excellent local singers to the CBSO Chorus
- Formalise its commitment to the development of conducting talent by creating an Assistant Conductorship and by launching a ‘debut conductors’ programme to enable at least three young conductors to work with the orchestra for the first time each season.
To find out more about specific funding opportunities, please contact Simon Fairclough, Director of Development on 0121 616 6502.